Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ginger Creme Sandwich Cookies

I Finally get to eat! My goodness, I wasn't expecting that fast to be as hard as it was. It taught me so much though. I realized that we are CRAZY! We think we are starving after not eating for a few hours, but in reality, we are NOT starving at all! My ultimate goal was to get through 2 weeks of not eating but once I started hitting 105 lbs. and I was so irritable I could just rip Joel's head off every time he spoke, I knew I needed to stop LOL. A lot of it was my mental attitude about it too, all I could think about was eating, all day long, so I think I should have gone about it differently, the whole point was to not focus on it at all, lessons learned for the future! Food is a gift from God that's for sure. We are so lucky we get to eat all of the yummy foods we get to eat every day, day in and day out. I thought about people in 3rd world countries that don't get to eat practically anything, and the malnourished children that are just skin and bones. I could barely make it through a week without having a tantrum and freaking out wanting to break down, my heart goes out to the people in the world that struggle daily with these issues. So on a happy note... This morning I woke up and made a delicious egg, cheese, and avocado sandwich; then continued making these yummy ginger creme sandwich cookies! ...And here's the recipe!

Ginger Creme Sandwich Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar

Filling
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. lemon extract
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla exract

In a large bowl, creme shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In a separate bowl, combine the flour baking soda, cinnamon and salt (In my directions they didn't say "in a separate bowl" so I ended up doing it the hard way adding everything to the large bowl); gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.


Mixture will be crumbly (atleast thats how mine turned out). Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Also, at this point the mixture smells like sweet potatoes, but I promise they turn out yummy and dont smell like that at all!)


Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern.


Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes (I did 8 and they turned out perfect, do NOT overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool.


In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients untill smooth.


Spread over the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment